Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Research Progress

So, I found this article in the BGNews (of all places) that talks about the "Generation 9/11." And the study is about the effects of 9/11 on college students, and I know that it has a place in my research. The review from the BGNews says that this Generation 9/11 is more civic minded, so that will fit into my democracy theme nicely. Anyway, now I have to find the study, but it shouldn't be hard. I've also been wondering if I'm building a rhetorical theory or a pedagogical theory and if one informs the other, then am I building both, and are they different? And, if so, then how am I going to handle that in a dissertation? So, it looks like another step in this process is to research how some rhetorical theories were developed and how pedagogies were developed in order to inform my final research path. I also found an article about technological literacy in a newletter that came in the mail, and though I haven't had time to read it, it makes me feel good that my research is "currently" on the discussion highway. The good news about that is that I'll have plenty of product for my bibliography building.

Also on my mind is prelims. I'm not scared about not knowing the answers. I just want to have them done...the patriarchal PROCESS makes me anxious, not my ability. It's just all different from my normal writing process. I'm a cooker...and 30 pages in 3 days is not enough cooking time! ANY chef knows that. So, I just want ot be IN it, not preparing, ya know, so it's distracting right now to my research for this class. BUT, I know the specialized exams will work as a writing activity toward my dissertation, so I'm actually looking forward to that. Weird, huh?

"Wake me up - when September ends"

1 Comments:

Blogger betajames said...

Robin, I like what you write about the relationship between rhetoric and pedagogy and how there's an influential relationship present. I don't know my musings here will help much, but I'm thinking about this rhetorical-pedagogical theory stuff in a kind of chicken-egg way. In other words, which came first (for you): rhetorical or pedagogical theory? Would it be helpful to explore this aspect regarding your work? It might not. Just offering that up as a possibility...

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home