Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ahead of Schedule

I know some of my fellow ABD's will hate me for this, but I'm 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Yesterday, I finished my revisions of Ch 2. Today, I'll do some editing and minor revisions. Tomorrow, I'll take another look and send it to my chair. Whew.

I know it's not perfect, and I know that many ABD's kill themselves about each step they take. And, I just push through. My chair gave great initial advice: "This is NOT the best piece of writing you'll do" So, if there's holes in my research/logic, I can fill them in later with my chair's suggestion or on my own realization.

I do make notes to myself about what I might want to do when I go back to the each chapter at the end of writing all the chapters. And, when I turn in a rough draft to my chair, I put notes in it to ask questions about development in some areas or about how to tackle a problem I've found in my process. This seems to help.

I must admit that I don't have a job right now, so I can spend alot of time reading and thinking about my project. And, I don't have kids. So, my outside distractions are limited in comparison to some in my cohort.

My biggest fear is that when I go out into the market, the people I interview with will say - SO WHAT? I need to work on that answer bc now that I've been writing and reading for a year about this subject, I often wonder if I'm really adding to the academic conversation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home